Wednesday, November 23, 2011

momofuku cake

While we were in NYC, my wife and I were sitting on the Brooklyn Bridge at some late hour, maybe 11pm or so? Later? I don't recall. I do recall that my wife wanted to get a treat at momofuku milk bar in the East Village, and it was very close to closing time. It was my first time in the big city, it was late, I'd never been to the East Village, but I was getting pretty savvy with the subways, so I said what the heck, why not?!?!

So we went, made it to the little bakery before it closed, purchased and sampled our treats. I don't even remember what we bought. To be honest, I remember that we both thought that it was something to be desired. But in fairness baked goods typically aren't at their best late at night after probably sitting out for so long. What do I know.

Anyway... My wife just bought the momofuku milk bar Milk cookbook, and has been eying up a confetti cake recipe inside all week. It's her mother's birthday the day after Thanksgiving, so not only is she making a pecan pie tonight for turkey day tomorrow, but she's also getting started on this amazing cake for the day after.

The funniest thing about this whole ordeal is that apparently many of the ingredients in this cake are 'fake.' Imitation vanilla, some weird glucose stuff in a tub, etc. My wife says that the author of this cookbook likes to try and re-create store bought stuff, and uses ingredients that make it taste more like store-bought cake. ONLY MY WIFE (and the momofuku lady) would make a store-bought-tasting cake the long and difficult way. I'll post a picture of how it turns out later.

It's Thanksgiving Eve, and I'm having a glass of brandy, and this is why my post is so long tonight. (not the first time)

No comments:

Post a Comment