Sunday, March 6, 2011

don't waste the egg yolks


Today my wife is baking 'the perfect party cake' from Dorie Greenspan's 'Baking' book for her coworker's going away party tomorrow. This is the same cake she made for my birthday last year, and it is my favorite cake by far. I can't imagine what would be better in between cake layers than raspberry jam.

Anyway, so I thought that was all she was up to in the kitchen, until she called me in to help her. She needed me to help squeeze the juice from a bag of key limes (about the size of a ping pong ball), for a 'florida pie' from the same book.

I said, "I thought you were making a cake?" She responded, "I am. This is just for us so that we can have afternoon pie." I was like, "Oh." Her reasoning was that the cake didn't require any egg yolks, just whites, and she couldn't bare to just toss them, so she also made this pie because it only used yolks, no whites.


I have to hand it to her for being resourceful.


By the way, I learned today that if you are going to leave your cake sections out for awhile, then you can leave a piece of bread on top to let the cake soak in the moisture from the bread. Crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment